[rescue] Apple HW Rumors

George W Adkins george at maily.webbastard.org
Mon Aug 12 15:53:29 CDT 2002

> >Cutting the Xserve pricing would be a good idea.  If they came out in
> >a few months with a lowend rackmount, single-CPU, box for $1,000 that
> >would be great.
>
> Only if they get OS X server capable of booting off of a RAID
> partition (1,4,5, anything but 0).  Having the desktops bootable
> off of RAID would be nice, too, but it's pretty well a requirement
> for servers.

Booting off of a Hardware RAID disk via a PCI adapter or a SCSI-SCSI RAID
box (Like a DAC960SX or a standalone array) would work just fine, no
machine should be able to tell that it's not just one big disk.

I think even sometning like one of the HW IDE Raid cards would boot just
fine, provided you could get it configured in the first place without a
PeeCee BIOS level access.  Perhaps if you put it in an intel box and
configured it first, then moved it and the drives into a Mac, and then
formatted it for Mac use...

George