[rescue] MacOS version 8.6

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Mon Aug 12 15:00:25 CDT 2002

I believe the only last version of 8.x for sale in retail was
8.5.  8.6 might be available as a "with machine cd", but I'm
not sure.  The last two Macs that I purchased new did not come
with "retail" style CDs.  Instead the CDs had gray printed labels,
and one was "install" and one was "restore".

With 9.x, 9.0 is the last retail version of OS 9 only.  OS X 10.0.3
came with an OS 9 CD, also 9.1, IIRC.  I believe that OS 10.1 "free
upgrade" came with OS 9.2 CD.  But I have not been able to use the
latter to boot my beige G3--I had to go back to OS 9.0 when I was
trying to trouble-shoot what I thought was a SCSI problem on one of my
disks.

Btw, if you are working in a mixed OS X/OS 9 environment, you are
better off, if you can swing it, to move all your data off of the
OS 9 disks, reformat them under OS X with OS 9 drivers, and then
move your data back.  There is a big thread on the Apple discussion
forums about this problem with 1394 disks, but my experience with my
SCSI internal hard drive leads me to believe that it's a filesystem
problem b/w OS X and OS 9.

=Nadine=