[rescue] Good day's grabs

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon Aug 12 08:57:48 CDT 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 22:56:01 -0500
Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> I've got a friend who had a Pismo G3.. One of his batteries *caught
> fire* while recharging.
>
> He called Apple, Apple took the G3 "for investigation", and gave him a
>
> brand new PBG4Ti in exchange.

apple has had a few of those issues in the last few years.  The yoyo for
my wifes ibook started visibly sparking inside the wire at the laptop
plug strain relief, the braid apparently couldn't take the flexing.  It
was out of warranty, but when she called up apple the first thing they
asked was "was anyone hurt".  Add that to the capacitors in the airport
base station, they have spent a bunch of money replacing stuff in the
last few years.

Of course I doubt it was as big as the compaq laptop power supply
recall, which they replaced with a smaller, hotter supply.

I know compaq laptops are no longer intended to be used on a lap, they
inhale through the bottom, if you set them on a non-hard surface they
suffocate.  My older armada inhaled on top and seems to handle being
used on soft surfaces much better.

Tim