[rescue] Good day's grabs

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Aug 11 14:11:54 CDT 2002

On Sunday, August 11, 2002, at 10:13 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> <Flame proof suit on>
> This is one place where to me a wintel box shines. CloneCD and Nero
> (both run under windows) are great. CloneCD copies just about anything
> depending upon the drive you have and Nero makes CD's without having to
> master them.
>
> For more usual stuff a headless (telnet in) linux box is perfect.
>
> Linux includes SCSI-IDE emulation, which allows a program to issue
> SCSI commands to an IDE CD-ROM burner. All those wonderful *nix utilties,
> (cdrdao,cdparanoia, cdrecord,etc) run on a cheapo Pentium system
> with a cheap IDE burner. N.B. the cheaper ones have more features :-)
>
> On the input side, look at grip, a gpl'ed front end for
> ripping/mp3'ing/filing
> cd's.
>
> IMHO anyone who does anything with CD's should have one on their network.
> <flame suit off>

   Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I've been doing that on an Alpha for years.  These
strengths have nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with
the software.

   Not a flame, mind you, just pointing out a different point of view.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "I haven't worn pants in 14 months!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Pete Wargo