[rescue] Re: Good day's grabs

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Aug 10 19:47:13 CDT 2002

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> > SunPCI 600MHz coprocessor, no RAM, $20.
>
> Wouldn't that be a SunPCI II?

Yep, same concept though. It uses pc100 sodimms, and I probably have a
spare around. If not, they're pretty cheap.

> > Four PCI SC FDDI cards. Part is 50-22498-01, which looks from google to be
> > DAS but there's only one SC connector. The back plate says DEFPA-AA or
>
> I don't think these will work with Solaris, but I do know they work
> with OpenVMS, Tru64, and Linux, and I'm pretty sure they work with
> *BSD.

Hmmm. Well, considering I'm not running the server farm here at home
anymore, that's not too bad.

> > Cisco Sbus big-ass-connector FDDI card, $15
>
> MIC connector?

Probably, sounds familiar. Big boxy connector that I see a lot of on
Cabletron SmartSwitches and the Cisco 1x00(?) FDDI concentrators.

> > Emulex LP8000 fibre channel card with DB9 GBIC (great for the fiber shelf
> > I've got coming), $5.
>
> Those cards are nice.  I've got a couple and Emulex supports a lot of
> different operating systems (and they work under Tru64 and OpenVMS).

I'm still pondering what OS to run the fiber channel system on. I'm
putting a Netapp fiber shelf on it, with whatever disks I can get cheaply
or free.

For DB9 fiber channel connections, is there a special cable spec, or will
a DB9 serial cable work? Might be a lame question, but it took me a while
to accept the idea of fiber channel that didn't involve fiber. :)

> > Whee. Toys. And I got my Sierra Wireless Aircard today, converted my
> > Omnisky/Earthlink Wireless account to it, and can now browse ebay from my
> > jornada. Whee. (and yes, it's the better aircard 300)
>
> What is the speed?  Even better, what is the airtime cost?

It's 19200bps CDPD, should work anywhere that Verizon or AT&T Wireless
have coverage. I'm on a $50/mo unlimited plan, after 2-3 years on the
$40/mo Palm V plan with a Minstrel V modem.

This is mostly for ssh to my unix box for screen/pine/tf/irc, so it's good
enough, and I don't like the pay-per-MB on the faster services. It'll also
(probably) allow me to accept Paypal payments at swap meets. :)

--Rob