[rescue] Network Appliances F330 Help needed

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Fri Aug 9 15:24:58 CDT 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>For some reason I felt I needed this F330 file server, but once I
>scored it, I never set it up. Well, I'd like to change all that -
>anyone have any info sources on these they'd like to share? I really
>know nothing about setting one of these up...

There's one on ebay right now with a buy price of $880, I am *sooo*
tempted.

>It came with two trays of 4 Gig HDs, is supposedly complete (has
>memory, CPU, some level of software installed, etc.) but no
>informations was supplied...
>
>My unit has (IIRC) 4+1 network ports, and (again, IIRC) three SCSI
>chains...
>
>Do I connect a serial terminal and configure away, or is there some
>config software and it is managed over the network...

You can do either, but unless you rec'd the original or copies
of the setup disks, just go serial.  It's very close to a "unix"
environment at the command prompt.

If you are not planning on putting it anywhere such that it can
be probed remotely, you can sign up for the NetApp on the Web
website (now.netapp.com)--it's fastest if you provide a serial
number for a filer.  Now, you *may not* want to do this.  NetApp
maintains that their licenses for the filer software (NFS, CIFS,
etc) is not transferrable.  I'm trying to get my own account
re-activated, but don't have a filer, so I don't know if it will
happen.

I have quite a lot of experience with filers, but am a little
rusty (no hands on in 2 years).  If you are willing to suffer
some cruftiness as I get back up to speed, we can talk in
private email.

I may still have my docs around.  Does anyone have a suggestion
for good OCR software?  I have a pretty good Canon scanner I
could use to make e-copies.

=Nadine=