[rescue] Re: Network Appliances F330 Help needed

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Aug 9 11:10:18 CDT 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> For some reason I felt I needed this F330 file server, but once I
> scored it, I never set it up. Well, I'd like to change all that -
> anyone have any info sources on these they'd like to share? I really
> know nothing about setting one of these up...

Maybe there should be a netapp at home list. The obvious downside to this is
that a lot of the Netapps at home are under the radar, since Network
Appliance doesn't have any interest in "hobbyist" users unless they pay
full price like everyone else. At my last company we bought an F740 and I
dropped hints to my sales rep and system engineer about it, but they sorta
nodded via email and shrugged.

I've gathered some info, and am glad to share what I know.

> My unit has (IIRC) 4+1 network ports, and (again, IIRC) three SCSI
> chains...

Probably a quad ethernet card and the onboard 10/100 split ports (use only
one). The SCSI on the system board (scsi0 I think it's called) is for tape
drives and the like. Connect your trays to the one on the PCI card and the
one to its right, scsi8 and 9 I think? This is all top of my head... my
F330 hasn't been powered up for almost a year either.

> Do I connect a serial terminal and configure away, or is there some
> config software and it is managed over the network...

You can connect a serial terminal, 9600N81, to the console port. I think
if you google for swsetup.pdf you can probably find some almost useful
docs, although I think that's part of the ONTAP 6 series and the F330
stops at some release of 5.3.7.

And if you want a spare F330 chassis, I have one in Austin at Chez Mrbill
that I'll let go really cheap.
http://lists.sunhelp.org/pipermail/rescue/2001-July/016764.html has the
specs.

Feel free to bug me offlist if you need other info. I'll be glad to help
as time permits.

--Rob