[rescue] FDDI in the real world babble

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Aug 7 10:19:13 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 05:02:16PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> You may read: http://www.nswc.navy.mil/ITT/x3t12/FDDIFAQ.html

I will.  I'll try the S to A connection first when I can.  My goal was
to first get things working from the sun directly to the lanplex, then
I have a working baseline to compare against when trying to bring up
the concentrator that I have no documentation for, and is not known to
be working.

> > I guess I'll probably need to dig up cresendo drivers for solaris also
> Don't know about the cresendo (that are the Cisco cards?) and Solaris.
> I have a NPI DAS SBus card in my SS5, soon 4/600MP, running Solaris 2.6
> and this card and the drivers are crap. Dog slow, CPU hungry and you
> will get a "only power cycle will help" hang of the machine when you
> unplug / replug the FDDI cable. Not nice. I hope to get a small 3 or
> 4 slot VME box, so that I can use a VME FDDI card with the 4/600MP
> board. (The board is currently mounted in a 3/60 case.)

Since I want to use NAS anyway, I wonder how a quad 4/600 with VME
FDDI would perform as a database server.  But then, if I went with
sbus FDDI on it, I could use the same VME chassis to bring up a second
4/600 with FDDI for use as an application server.  Whatever.  The way
things are going, it looks like I'll be using a stack of U1s for these
tasks.  It seems that U1s cost less than decent pairs of mbus modules
these days.

Anyway, what is the name of the software package that is holding up
FDDI support on NetBSD?  Was it SME?  The thing that is implemented in
hardware on the DEFPAs, but not most other cards?  My understanding is
that the Cresendo implements this in hardware also, meaning it
shouldn't be at all CPU hungry.  Or so I was once told.

--
Joshua D. Boyd