[rescue] FDDI in the real world babble

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Aug 7 10:02:16 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 08:42:48AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> So, quick question then.  I have a cresendo card that is SAS.  I have
> a Lanplex 2500 that is DAS (I also have a concentrator that is SAS,
> but I'm hoping to ignore it for the first step).  What do I need to do
> to hook the two together?  Just buy a SAS cable, and find a software
> setting on the lanplex?  Find an adapter cable?  What?
You can connect the SAS (S port) directly to the DAS A (or B) port.
This is a "undesirable" connection way, but it works in most
cases. Or connect the SAS S port to one M port of the concentrator
and the A port of the LANplex to an other M port of the concentrator.
You may read: http://www.nswc.navy.mil/ITT/x3t12/FDDIFAQ.html

> I guess I'll probably need to dig up cresendo drivers for solaris also
Don't know about the cresendo (that are the Cisco cards?) and Solaris.
I have a NPI DAS SBus card in my SS5, soon 4/600MP, running Solaris 2.6
and this card and the drivers are crap. Dog slow, CPU hungry and you
will get a "only power cycle will help" hang of the machine when you
unplug / replug the FDDI cable. Not nice. I hope to get a small 3 or
4 slot VME box, so that I can use a VME FDDI card with the 4/600MP
board. (The board is currently mounted in a 3/60 case.)
--

tsch,
         Jochen