[rescue] FedEx Ground

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Aug 7 18:19:57 CDT 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:51:49 -0500 (CDT)
Eric Dittman <dittman at dittman.net> wrote:

> I am a firm believer that we get exceptional value for our
> money from the USPS.  There are areas that can do with some
> improvement, though, like having the counters properly manned
> during peak times.  I can't count the times I've gone in during
> peak times and there've been only two out of five stations open
> with more than twenty-five people in line.

You really should have been there when I and some friends showed up with
a Ryder truck full, and told them we had over a hundred good sized boxes
to mail to Hawaii.  It was kinda fun.  In his case, it was the only way
to get stuff there at the right time, he was driving from NY to CA,
blowing a week visiting family, putting his car on a boat, and flying to
Maui, permanently.  If he had shipped stuff it he would have been
waiting for his entire life for several weeks.  If he had shipped it
with any private express shipper it would have been $$$ and it would
have gotten there before him, and they wouldn't hold it.  USPS it was
going to get there about when he did, and the PO will hold it.  I have
never seen anybody mail their entire life away like that.  (I got his
rack, it wouldn't fit in a box)  He spent less than $3K to ship
everything (not counting car), I forget how many boxes or what total
weight was.

Tim