[rescue] Sun Ultra E6000 followup

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Aug 7 16:52:54 CDT 2002

Hi Lads

I went out to physically inspect the E6000 I mentioned last week.

Holy sh*t! It really is an E6000 - I nearly creamed myself!! And the vendor
doesn't know anything at all about Sun gear *woo-hoo*

I didn't have my full diagnostic kit with me (I was actually expecting to
find a SS600 or other misidentified item) so I can't post a detailed spec
yet. But it does appear to be complete and it appears to have eight
dual-CPU 300/2MB cards with an ungodly amount of RAM on each. In addition
there are two SBus carrier cards with a couple of SCSI and Fast ethernet
ports in the back. The whole thing is housed in a Sun datacentre rack with
a 48vDC PDU (converting internally to 240Vac for the rack components). In
the bottom of the rack is a large as-yet unidentified component with three
removable segements - possibly a hotswap PSU, UPS, or DLT autoloader?

But wait, there's more!!

On top of the rack were an Ultra 2, an Ultra 1, and a Sun UW-SCSI array
(only has 2*4.2GB though). Questioning the warehouse manager revealed
another Ultra 2 and a pair of UW-SCSI arrays under a box of PC parts.

Just as I was about to leave, I spot some suspiciously large/dark servers
under a table. They are a trio of deskside Sun E3000s (4-way I think, but
actual configuration unknown). "Oh. I forgot we still had those" sez the
vendor - "they've been floating around for a while; this Sun crap is almost
impossible to sell".

I need to go back with my tools to test the systems and prepare an offer
for the lot. I want to make a fairly generous offer so there is a minimum
of fuss - maybe around 2.2-2.5kUSD for the E6K, 3 x E3k, 2 x U2, 1 x U1,
and 3 x UW arrays all together.

Pictures and dissection/analysis of the deal will follow if it all goes
through.

Regards,

Gavin

P.S. Amen...Praise the lord for the Intel Pentium 4. Compared to a 2.53GHz
CPU, a 300MHz server 'appears' faintly pathetic ;-)