[rescue] FDDI in the real world babble

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Aug 7 07:42:48 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 11:28:55AM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 04:45:50AM -0400, Michael Schiller wrote:
>
> > Currently I'm running FDDI to most of my machines via
> > SAS & a concentrator. Would it make any speed difference if I replaced
> > all my SAS cards with DAS cards, and got rid of the concentrator?
> It makes no difference in speed if you use DAS cabling or SAS with
> a concentrator. With DAS you have a "explicite" (double) ring
> typology. With SAS and a concentrator you have "implicite" ring
> typology, as the concentrator connects all the stations internaly
> to a ring. And you can mix DAS and SAS cabling.

So, quick question then.  I have a cresendo card that is SAS.  I have
a Lanplex 2500 that is DAS (I also have a concentrator that is SAS,
but I'm hoping to ignore it for the first step).  What do I need to do
to hook the two together?  Just buy a SAS cable, and find a software
setting on the lanplex?  Find an adapter cable?  What?

I guess I'll probably need to dig up cresendo drivers for solaris also
at some point.  Do this cards work under Solaris 8, or am I going to
have to drop back to 2.5.1?  I probably can find that info in the
archives somewhere.

--
Joshua D. Boyd