[rescue] Long network paths

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Aug 6 06:41:32 CDT 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:57:07 -0400
George Adkins <george at webbastard.org> wrote:

> Dude, go FDDI, it's much better (doesn't collapse under saturation >
> 45%)
>
> George

I got the 100FX trascievers for free, along with the fiber and wall
mount termination boxes.  If at some point I get equipment to push fddi
across that fiber I'd be glad to use it.  Of course my chance of
saturating 100FX for my home network is entirely related to me finding
machines in a dumpster to allow me to start streaming TV around the
house on the network, and that hasn't happened yet.  I would need
something which would allow me to remotely select multiple Video sources
(Satellite, DVD, VCR), capture that stream, then something to view it
on.  I was thinking of the much maligned Indy and a TV as the output
method, because it is relatively small and quite quiet. (Look Josh, I
used 'em both consecutively :-)) And possibly my MAME cabinet as
capture, except I know I couldn't capture video and play games on that
at the same time, especially with Win98, so realistically I need another
machine to do that as well.

Tim