[rescue] Re: Axils

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun Aug 4 10:30:31 CDT 2002

[ On Saturday, August 3, 2002 at 15:36:57 (-0700), vraptor at employees.org wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Axils (was RE: [rescue] Ultra?, Memory)
>
> "Axil Disease"--I used to work at a hurtling network manuf.
> juggernaut (no need to name names).  In a effort to cut costs
> they bought a bunch of Axil 320s for use as mail and home
> directory servers.  The Axils, under heavy load, had this
> annoying tendency to drop to the ok prompt--no reboot.
>
> Unfortunately, being an short-staffed internal support org,
> with ad-hoc sys admin support policies, no attempt was ever
> made to do a root cause analysis.  New hardware was thrown
> at the problem.

Hmmm.... were they using low-end memory too?

I've never had that happen to the ones I've worked on.  They were bought
from HCC (Ottawa), and I've never heard any complaints from any of HCC's
other customers that I know of either.  If it wasn't the memory then
perhaps it was a bad batch of motherboards....  (I'm assuming they were
in a cool enough environment and had clean power.)

One did finaly blow a CPU and one memory stick due to overheating, but
I've since replaced those (with second hand Sun parts from memoryx), and
it's still running happy.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>