Axils (was RE: [rescue] Ultra?, Memory)

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Sat Aug 3 17:36:57 CDT 2002

"Axil Disease"--I used to work at a hurtling network manuf.
juggernaut (no need to name names).  In a effort to cut costs
they bought a bunch of Axil 320s for use as mail and home
directory servers.  The Axils, under heavy load, had this
annoying tendency to drop to the ok prompt--no reboot.

Unfortunately, being an short-staffed internal support org,
with ad-hoc sys admin support policies, no attempt was ever
made to do a root cause analysis.  New hardware was thrown
at the problem.

Most of this was before my time until I supported one of the
cast-off Axils in a volunteer capacity at this very domain.
We eventually replaced it with a "real" SS20, and most recently
a 2-processor U2 (after we had a cracker break in and needed
to rebuild, anyway).

=Nadine=