[rescue] *BSD on Sparc?

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Sun Aug 4 03:06:18 CDT 2002

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>On August 4, vraptor at employees.org wrote:
>> >  It is my understanding that Sun funded at least some of the FreeBSD
>> >SPARC porting effort...only for UltraSPARC machines.
>>
>> A "history" lesson at the FreeBSD port site debunks this.  Apparently
>> Sun offerred, and was turned down.  Later the project was picked
>> up independently--not sure why.
>
>  Ahh, ok, thanks for the correction.  I wonder why the FreeBSD people
>turned it down.  I largely ignore FreeBSD (it's a great PC OS, but I
>don't use PC hardware and it blows dog on Alphas) so I don't really
>track this stuff.

Just stumbled across it today.  I think it was some political issue
from the vague way it was talked about on the page I found.  I supported
FreeBSD at the last place I worked.  It's simple to set up and the
ports system is great.  I use it on my firewall 'cause I didn't want
the overhead of YAOS to support at home.  I advise people I meet
who want to learn Unix to go with it over Linux--much less frustrating
for the beginner.

>> I'll have to check it out.  One more OS to add to the resume. :-)
>
>  Geek. ;)

Guilty as charged, as I think everyone else here is.  I'm not the
hardcore ubergeek that some of the rest of you are--but then, I
just started my tech travels at the 8088/Mac Plus timeframe. :-)
Didn't get into big iron until late SC1000 days.

Speaking of resume fodder, if any of you folks can recommend any
outstanding job resources, I'd like to hear them.  I'm doing all
the standards, brassring, yahoo, flipdog, bajobs (I'm in Silicon
Valley), etc.  Not finding too much, maybe some sites off the
beaten path might have more?

Time for zzzz's...
=Nadine=