[rescue] Documented machines [was: *BSD on Sparc?]

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sat Aug 3 21:09:20 CDT 2002

At 08:32 PM 8/3/2002 -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

>unofficial understanding is that as of last year some time, they most
>of the docs still for anything newer.  But I might have been hearing

I've read this several times now, and I still can't parse it.

But that brings up something I've been thinking about recently...some
machines, such as the Clipper based Intergraphs, are notorious for the lack
of hardware documentation.  Others (older dec stuff comes to mind) even
included schematics, right?  (Seems like over time the trend is tending
toward less documentation.)  What machines, especially more recent ones,
are well documented?

When I started researching the dec 5k/200, I noticed that there was some
very interesting official info available on turbochannel, the memory
subsystem, and other aspects of the hardware.  In contrast, I was only able
to find a few datasheets on the relevant chips used in the sun4c machines.
Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

newell