[rescue] Re: OH YEA??? [was: Re: Ultra?]

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sat Aug 3 13:51:25 CDT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Robert Novak wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > And note that the price of a U5 purchased from the sun web site when
> > it first came out was pretty competative with the price of a PC.  What
> > was it again, $899?
>
> Nope. I believe the base 270MHz/256KB CPU with 64MB RAM was $1999 circa
> 1998 (give or take a few months).

I don't know why, but when I was cleaning out my home office I kept the
old Sun pricing guides.

The first U5's I ordered were out of the May 19, 1998 pricelist.  This
specced the 270MHz/64MB/4.3GB/CDROM Ultra-5 configuration at $2495,
discount category H (so good luck getting more than a 13% discount).
This was still a great deal, considering that SS5's had been $3k+ and far
slower.

Also, remember that soon after the initial U5 release, Sun started
mandating that monitors were required with new systems (but not upgrades).
Given that even the 17" crap monitor was $710, H discount, this drove the
price up.

A SLC/ELC/LX/IPC/IPX/1/1+/2/Classic was good for $175 of upgrade credit.

-James