[rescue] Re: OH YEA??? [was: Re: Ultra?]

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Aug 3 11:36:35 CDT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 06:10:43AM -0400, Michael Schiller wrote:
>
> > 3. quality of construction. The U1's were made when Sun still cared
> > about the quality of their machines. The U5 & U10's were built using
> > cheaper parts that are more on line with home PCs than Unix
> > workstations. I've owned U5's U10's, and U1's, so I know how the cases
> > are built.
>
> And note that the price of a U5 purchased from the sun web site when
> it first came out was pretty competative with the price of a PC.  What
> was it again, $899?

Nope. I believe the base 270MHz/256KB CPU with 64MB RAM was $1999 circa
1998 (give or take a few months).

The Netra X1 and Sunblade 100 came out at the $999 price point, much
later.

I bought a few of the 270mhz U5s to replace our SS20s and U1-170s, which
were being used for (very slow) nfs-hosted compiles and xterm stuff and
Netscape. Back when a single hme card for an Sbus machine was still
noticeably close to $1k, and memory upgrades were expensive, the boost to
270mhz with 256MB for $2500 was a very good deal in our environment. We
later upgraded them to 512MB.

--Rob