[rescue] Re: OH YEA??? [was: Re: Ultra?]

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Aug 3 12:01:32 CDT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Harold K Berninghausen wrote:

> So, if people are ragging about the U5/ U10 and their "IDE'ness"..
> what about the AXi? It seems to be an updated U5/U10, but scsi?
> I bring this up as I am just about to put one together... tossing
> a peecee mb out, but keeping the 6 hd backplane... Any comments
> on the AXi?

I think you'll find that nobody here will rag on the AXi. Search the
archives for James Lockwood's posts on it--he is one of the most thorough
and accurate evangelists for it (I bought my first AXi from him) and does
a good job of pointing out its high points and putting it in perspective
with other sub-$500 Suns.

Short form, in case (like me) you're too lazy to websearch:

Upsides: It has dual SCSI, dual PCI buses, nice CPU options (360MHz/2MB
and 440MHz/2MB), up to 1GB of memory, standard ATX form factor and power
supply (thus cheap to rackmount).

Downsides: Less permissive about memory addressing modes than U5/U10 (all
AXi memory will work in U5/U10, not necessarily vice versa), no onboard
audio, no UPA frame buffer slots, requires more attention to cooling and
air circulation, limited to 1GB of still-expensive-in-high-density memory.

> I am looking forward to comparing it to the U5s that I have and try
> not to shame it next to the U2's and U60 next to it.... I won't even
> tell it about the Quad U2 lurking nearby...

QUAD U2?

Tell me more!

--Rob>