[rescue] Re: Re: OH YEA??? [was: Re: Ultra?]

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Aug 3 11:53:52 CDT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I will be putting together a 100gig scsi setup soon for a total cash
> outlay of less than $100.  It will be using older drives that I picked
> up for a song, and drive cases that I've collected from people getting
> rid of them.  I could probably go to 200 gigs for $50 more before I
> have to start building my own scsi cases to hold the drives.

It can be done, doesn't mean it's worth the effort for everyone, or that
everyone can get the giveaways or deals you or I might. The 47GB Elites
would be good for that sort of thing if you have the space and power. HDO
has 4-packs of them $100/BIN $200 with warranty (yeah, I'm superstitious,
want at least 90 days warranty on any drive I pay money for).

> > > IDE belongs in PeeCees, not Workstations.
> >
> > Not every desktop system or appliance is a Workstation.
>
> But it should be.

Naw, you'd be surprised how little benefit BIND gets from a scsi disk over
an ide disk. Or Squid. Or xterm. Heck, the U5 270 I put up as DNS/web
proxy 2 jobs ago (4 years ago I guess) is still cooking along with its
original 4GB disk and 256MB RAM. Does its job, and that's more important
than much else.