OH YEA??? [was: Re: [rescue] Ultra?]

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Aug 3 11:33:25 CDT 2002

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 11:53:40AM -0400, George Adkins wrote:

> Unless of course you were talking about capacity...  In which case, I can
> hang a 711 or a 911 case off of an SS10 and fill it with 36G or 75G drives
> for say...  300Gigs or more of storage without even breaking a sweat.  How
> many UDMA drives can you stick in that U5? How many can you hang of the
> outside without resorting to a ...(wait for it...) SCSI Controller?

I've given up trying to make that particular point.  First people tend
to point out that they can stick 400gigs in a U5 (which I doubt since
I bet that a U5 can't handle disks much larger than 120gigs), and then
the point out that 2 large IDE harddrives is much cheaper than lots of
scsi drives (which I doubt if you are carefull), and that scsi cases
are expensive (only if you don't take the time to find them cheaply),
and that the electricity draw is too great (which might have some
truth to it, even if we don't let it deter us).

--
Joshua D. Boyd