OH YEA??? [was: Re: [rescue] Ultra?]

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Sat Aug 3 01:15:49 CDT 2002

> > In fact, even *typing* the letters I D & E consecutively makes my fingers
> > bleed and my ears break out in a painful rash.
> >  </sarcasm>
>
> Hehehehe- I'm not a fan of the way sun has handled IDE- IDE is bad enough
> without having the machine freeze while disk gets accessed. So, yeah- it's
> annoying that sun didn't do ide "right".
Yeah, it *is* annoying that they didn't do it "right".  'Right' would have
been to have abandoned the monstrosity before birth.  Workstations are about
performance.  There is no place for budget PeeCee drives in a 'Workstation'.

OTOH, I can see a place for ID E drives, it's in RAID arrays.  You build a
cabinet, stick ten or twenty 200 gig drives in it, each on it's own dedicated
channel, and run them through a big cached RAID Processor...  and have it
speak SCSI or FC-AL out the back so you can connect it to 'real' computers.
you use fault-tolerant RAID setups so when the drives crap out, you can
replace them (hot-swap) with equally cheap, filthy replacement drives and
throw the old drives in the rubbish tip where they probably belonged in the
first place.

> I have to say that- for a
> workstation with a lot of stuff on nfs, the u10 does outperform the
> u1/170/e.

Sure, at 300 mhz? 333? 360?

George