[rescue] Ultra?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Aug 2 14:35:48 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 vraptor at employees.org wrote:

> I'd check to see if there were any PCI 1394 cards supported under
> Solaris for the U30, first.  I started looking, but got so
> many hits on 1394 b/c of the Sun Blade, that I couldn't wade
> through them.  I dunno if that's a good sign or not.  Probably
> quicker to tap a Sun SE.  That'd be way cool, though I still
> think I'd rather just do it on OS X. ;-)

man hci1394:

NAME
     hci1394 - 1394 OpenHCI host controller driver

SYNOPSIS
     firewire at unit-address

DESCRIPTION
     The hci1394 host controller driver is an IEEE 1394 compliant
     nexus  driver  that  supports  the 1394 Open Host Controller
     Interface Specification 1.0, an industry standard  developed
     by Sun, Apple, Compaq, Intel, Microsoft, National Semconduc-
     tor, and Texas Instruments.  The  hci1394   driver  supports
     asynchronous transfers, isochronous transfers, and bus reset
     management.  The hci1394  driver  also  supports  the  nexus
     device control interface.

FILES
     /kernel/drv/sparcv9/hci1394
           64-bit ELF kernel module

(from driver_aliases):

hci1394 "pciclass,0c0010"

0c0010 is the correct PCI class for an OHCI 1394 board.

Firewire storage support is another issue.

OS X certainly has reasonable Firewire integration, but is still lacking
in many ways.  If you want something to park disks off of and share them
then it might be a good solution.

-James