[rescue] Must have peripherals [was Re: worth it for thedisks?]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 1 12:44:10 CDT 2002

On August 1, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   I don't know what language it speaks, it doesn't seem to be
> > documented anywhere.  It connects to the host computer via SCSI and is
> > driven by a Photoshop export plugin.
>
> That kinda sucks.  I bet there would still be a way to rig up network
> printing to it though...  I'm thinking network to ghostscript to .tiff
> to watcher script that has photoshop trigger the plugin.  This
> probably would require a pretty new version of photoshop though.

  The plugin won't run with a newer version of Photoshop...I think I'm
running with 5.  It also requires MacOS 7.1...It works under 7.5 but
crashes a lot.  It frobs the SCSI drivers pretty heavily.

  But that's ok...That 6100's purpose in life is to have files copied
to it, dragged onto Photoshop, and printed. ;)

  When you consider how much one would really use this kind of output
device (thing of media costs...unless you find really good deals,
you're talking $2/pg)...This is for final output only...having to walk
over to a particular machine to use it isn't all that bad.  I consider
it (along with its attached Mac) to be a photographic device more than
a computer-related device.

> An alternative question would be if this is one of those photoshop
> plugins that can work with other programs that claim to support
> photoshop plugins, or if it is one of the plugins that really only
> works with photoshop.

  There's a software package for IRIX that can drive it, but I've
never seen it in the wild.  That, of course, would be the best way to
go...if anyone can find that software.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "...it's all pants, all the time."
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Joshua Boyd