[rescue] Must have peripherals [was Re: worth it for thedisks?]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 1 12:35:11 CDT 2002

On August 1, Scott Newell wrote:
> [Kodak XLT-7720 dye sub printer]
>
> >  I don't know what language it speaks, it doesn't seem to be
> >documented anywhere.  It connects to the host computer via SCSI and is
>
> Too bad the language/interface documentation isn't easily available.  Looks
> like one went unsold on ebay recently.  Starting bid: $10.

  Well there's a problem there...there are two versions, one with a
SCSI interface and one with an HP-IB interface.  The latter are used
extensively in medical imaging systems, and don't really talk to
anything else.  They're the ones that tend to go cheaply.

  Buried in guts of this printer, however, is a ROM-based ISA-bus
computer!  The SCSI interface is an ISA card.  Eventually I plan to
open it up and see if it's anything "ordinary" like an Adaptec 1542 or
something.  If so, cheap high-end dye subs can be had by all.

> Are the consumables costly or hard to get?

  They show up on eBay frequently.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "...it's all pants, all the time."
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Joshua Boyd