[rescue] worth it for the disks?

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Thu Aug 1 07:21:33 CDT 2002

Tim H. wrote:

> gadget like that is government.  Even a big company can't generate
> enough paper to justify an archival system like that.

Yes they can. I used to work for a LARGE financial firm, and every piece
of mail that came in was scanned. They didn't have anything as large as
this, they had 6 100ppm double-sided scanners, working 8 hours a day.
The mail was scanned, routed through workflow to the appropriate reps,
then archived to optical disks (I was the admin on the archival systems).

Imagine 40 million people making changes to their IRAs and such on a
daily basis. mountains of paper to scan. Terrabytes of images saved to
optical.

---sambo