[rescue] sniping, etc

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Tue Apr 30 12:12:46 CDT 2002

DM> On April 30, George Adkins wrote:
>> > I look at it this way - everyone has the same opportunity to "snipe"
>> > bids at the last minute. 8-)  If you dont get it, oh well, you'll
>> > find another.
>>
>> Gee, that means that everyone just bids whatever they're willing to pay and
>> the only difference is that it's done at the last minute...  Like a sealed
>> bid auction....

DM>   No, that's NOT what it means, George.  It means that everyone bids
DM> what they're willing to pay BUT has a better chance if they have a
DM> fast machine, a fast browser, and a fast net connection.

>> heh, imagine that, people just bidding what they're willing to pay for an
>> item, instead of trying to " play psychological games" with the other bidders.

DM>   Sniping has nothing to do with psychological games.  It has to do
DM> with going to the store and getting a better price on a box of
DM> Cheerios.  Hence, 67 SPARCstations for $629.00.

I'm going to waffle on this one from a previous position - see the
archives - it's kinda like grabbing the last box of Cheerios marked
for yesterday's sale before the price goes up.  If you're too slow the
price changes and you get a more expensive box of Cheerios.

I've had to waffle on this one because I used to hate it when it
happened to me but I've found that I can't hold that position because
it is very unlikely that the rules of the game (yes George it _is_ a
game) are probably not going to change any time soon.  If I want to
play the game I have to play by the rules.

(Game:
http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=game
Number 2, section a.
"A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each
other according to a set of rules: the game of basketball; the game
of gin rummy.")

Mike Hebel                        mailto:nimitz at owc.net