[rescue] Re: Disabling Sun Onboard Ethernet

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Apr 29 15:38:37 CDT 2002

> > Yes, OpenBoot.  I want to stop the error messages at that
> > level.
>
> I don't know that you can disable it, in the sense that some integrated PC
> motherboards let you disable onboard ports... turning off tpe-link-test
> might keep it from whining about no carrier.

I'll try tpe-link-test and see if that does it.

> Or if there's no electrical reason not to do this, just make a crossover
> jumper plug and put it in so it will always see its own carrier. Not
> exactly the solution you requested, but it might get rid of the link error
> if that's indeed the error you refer to.

This should work, since it would be the equivalent of using
a crossover cable to another system.

> Note... don't do the above (jumper) unless someone else on here says it's
> practical. If you blow up your computer, or your hometown, or your ability
> to reproduce, it's your own fault anyway. :)

If I lost my ability to reproduce I wouldn't mind, as long as
it wasn't as painful as a vasectomy (Maria and I are not going
to have children).
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net