[rescue] Re: Disabling Sun Onboard Ethernet

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Apr 29 15:37:33 CDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> > > Is there a way to disable the onboard Ethernet on an Ultra 1
> > > and Ultra 2 at the console level?
> >
> > As in openboot?  or OS?  "ifconfig hme(x) unplumb".
>
> Yes, OpenBoot.  I want to stop the error messages at that
> level.

I don't know that you can disable it, in the sense that some integrated PC
motherboards let you disable onboard ports... turning off tpe-link-test
might keep it from whining about no carrier.

Or if there's no electrical reason not to do this, just make a crossover
jumper plug and put it in so it will always see its own carrier. Not
exactly the solution you requested, but it might get rid of the link error
if that's indeed the error you refer to.

Note... don't do the above (jumper) unless someone else on here says it's
practical. If you blow up your computer, or your hometown, or your ability
to reproduce, it's your own fault anyway. :)

Rob