[rescue] Vaxen?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 26 23:02:52 CDT 2002

On April 26, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > Before I because a Unixter, I was a Vaxter... From what I hear, they make
> > pretty decent dns servers too... running ISC Bind version 8.3.1 or above,
> > depending on your memory...
>
> actually, they will do just about any number of neat tasks.  it all depends
> which one you have.  my 11/750 would be hard pressed to do anything high end,
> but my 4000 and 6000 boxes are actually rather fast.  i could run a serious
> sized database on any of them.  DNS/mail would be no sweat for these thing. :)

  A DoD contractor facility that I worked for many years ago was still
running their 11/750 as recently as a year ago.  It crunches data from
airborne multispectral pushbroom imagers.  It does the job fine, the
army pays the electric bill, and it's damn hard to get new machines
cleared...so there it runs. :-)

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                                 "Mmmm.  Big."
St. Petersburg, FL                                -Den