[rescue] Vaxen?

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Fri Apr 26 21:49:46 CDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 09:10:28PM -0400, Linc Fessenden wrote:
> I know there are quite a few of you on this list with Vaxen, myself
> included.  I was just browsing the net a bit and decided to look up vax
> and lo and behold most of the people thet mention vaxes seem to only refer
> to them in the context of using them for email.. (it's true!)
> What I was wondering is if you'd share what kinds of things you do on your
> vax?  I am curious..  Email seems such a lowly primary use for such a cool
> type of machine.
> I have several vaxen and while they are not *all* running (due to power
> constraints) when they are I use them for servers (http, ftp, etc) all
> running NetBSD.

i only have one vax that runs NetBSD and that's the 3100/76 that Maximum Entropy
swapped me (i forget what i gave him for it now, heh), the rest (all 4000 and
6000 machines) all run VMS.

what do i use them for?  to heat my house of course.  ;)

seriously, i use them primarily for learning VMS and clustering, but what i'd
really like is to get them running some sort of database.  i think i can now
get a copy of Oracle 7 under a hobbyist license, yes?  that would be very cool.

other than that, one of them runs a copy of CircleMUD.  not much else at the
moment though, since i haven't had the chance to work on them in months, and
they haven't even been powered up yet after the move.  soon though, very soon
now.

-brian
--
"He's hopped up on caffeine. He has the strength of ten mice."  -PVP