[rescue] Suggestions for a *small form-factor* PC?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 21 02:07:26 CDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I'm a big fan of eBay, but for stuff that's almost as common of power
> cords (at least to me), what's the point?  PeeCee hardware is pretty
> hard to find from my perspective...not Sun hardware.

Any room for me in your universe?  It took me about three weeks to hunt
down -any- sbus Ethernet card that I could afford.  I ended up with a Big
Mac, which seems to be working okay in my SPARCclassic.  I was worried
that the teeny CPU in it couldn't keep up.  $40 wasn't bad, especially
considering what the plain ol' Lance cards were going for on eBay ($30 or
so).

But that was then, and this is now, and I have a happy little NetBSD
router.  Still, if I had Sun equipment falling into my hands as often as I
have crap PC parts show up around here, that would kick ass.  Although,
I'd lose out on the stress-relief factor of pumping some old PC boards
full of lead. :)

--Jonathan