[rescue] OT: broken de-MIME-ers should be shot! ;-)

Mike Meredith hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 17 16:51:44 CDT 2002

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 22:12, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > It's even worse when it converts what you have into something incorrect,
> > as in changing my degree symbols into zeros.  Grrrr!!!!  BUG!!!!

If this mailing list was run in the Uk, what DeMIME did could be illegal (for
modifying the message).

> I think the problem here is most of us are using ASCII mail readers.  Greg
> is using ISO-8859-1 (is that right?)

The headers claim he's using 'us-ascii' although that could be DeMIME at work.

> which has a degree symbol.  Since
> DeMIME is bringing it to plain old ASCII text, that degree symbol needs to
> be translated into something.

If I was writting DeMIME, it would be "[ISO-8859-1 symbol for Degree]" or
'[DeMIME has removed a character that cannot be displayed in US-ASCII]", as I
think that making changes without some kind of indication is rather risky.

> Unfortunately for Greg, it looks like he's bragging about living inside an
> active blast furnace =)

It could be slightly worse if the subject was slightly more serious!