[rescue] bsd's

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Apr 17 11:13:47 CDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 11:14:12AM -0400, Big Endian wrote:

> I've taken to using freebsd in place of linux on x86 hardware because
> it just works better for me (faster, more stable, doesn't need to
> fsck after its been up for 30 days, list goes on).  Freebsd supports

What's that about fsck?  I rarely fsck my fileserver in and 60day interval.
Not sure what the average uptime is, but boots are the only time fsck is run.
It was 70 some days when I recently took it down to pull some ununsed hardware
from it.

> almost everthing linux supports on x86, including your DAC960.  I
> have found that the I/O performance of FreeBSD and the NFS
> implementation of FreeBSD to be *VASTLY* superior to linux.

Supposedly *BSD have a demonstratably shorted path for IP packets than linux
does.

--
Joshua D. Boyd