[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Apr 16 17:35:40 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 03:27:18PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> Hehe, almost as fun as where I was at.  I had to teach the next students
> how to run the network in order to graduate.  The CS teacher wasn't
> capable of/willing to learn that stuff.  I -know- that was at least
> against school district regs, but they wanted stuff done, so they put up
> with it.

All through high school:

<overhead speaker crackles>

"Bill Bradford, please come to the office.  Bill Bradford, please come to
 the office."

<other kids start mumbling "oh shit what did he do">

I walk to the office.  "Yeah?"

"Uhm, yeah, we're having computer problems..."

You know the rest.

ALL OVER TOWN I was "that computer genius".  No, I wasnt a genius, I just
knew what I was doing.  It didnt help my reputation when i went to the
state FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America, kinda like 4-H in suits and
ties carrying calculators) competition five years in a row, won 1st place in
the state for three of those (one year, Information Processing, the next two
Computer Applications for Business, which was the fancy name for "programming
with some paper, a flowchart template, and a calculator" - they didnt let
us touch the *machines*).  I went on to place 10th, 5th, and 3rd in the
country in those events, repsectively...  One year, at the national
convention, the group leader/chaperone was like "And, in the Computer
events, we have Bill Bradford. Again." 8-)

I think thats one reason I liked moving to a big town (bigger than 3K
people) - so that I wouldnt just be "Bill the computer guy".  Anybody in
my hometown or college said "Bill, the computer guy", and the other person
would know who they were talking about.  I like not being popular.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net