711 StorEdge Multipack (was: [rescue] Re: OSM-2000)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 16 09:09:53 CDT 2002

(Catching up on old e-mail that I had skipped over the
weekend)

> > If I pick up a 6-bay cheap and strip it, does someone want the
> > chassis/backplane for the cost of shipping?  I'd rather have
> > capacity for more disks than be able to handle HH disks, based
> > on the inventory I already have.
>
> Where can you get 711s for anywhere near $125?

I can get a complete 6-bay unit for ~$250, and use most of the
parts to put my 12-bay carcass into like-new condition.  I would then
have a 6-bay carcass which would only need a power supply to put
it into working order--the only other things missing would be
purely cosmetic (top and sides).

I found someone who has (had?) the power supply (300-1330) available
and quoted me $125 including S/H.  (It's the same power supply as
an E150 takes, apparently--anyone have an extra?)

> It seems to me that an AT power supply
> should be easy enough to hook up to the backplanes, unless there is
> additional intelligence that I don't know about.  The drives
> should only need a 12v and 5v power lines.

Well, yes and no.  The online docs at

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/DC_Power/DCPOWER_FDK_1330_185W.
html
seem to confirm that 12v and 5v is all that's needed, but
using an off-the-shelf PC power supply doesn't look close
to trivial--and I built power supplies for college EE projects.
You would also need to interface to an unusual 18-pin Molex
connector.

For part of a RAID configuration (which my 711 is likely to
be at some point) I prefer higher reliability--so I'm not
likely to try to throw an AT power supply onto it.

Again, let me know off-list if someone seriously wants a 6-bay
carcass for the cost of shipping.

  --Rip