[rescue] Re: LaserJet II printing problems

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Tue Apr 16 02:56:28 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, at 11:47 AM, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> Subject: Re: [rescue] LaserJet II printing problems
>
> On Monday, April 15, 2002, at 11:39 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> >   Install ghostscript and set it up as a print filter.  I've never done
> > that under Solaris in particular, but it shouldn't be too difficult.
> > Alternatively, an LJII Postscript cartridge should be cheap these
> > days; take a look on eBay.
> >

> The good ones are hard to get.  I still haven't gotten one for my LJ
> III.  I have an LJ III with 5MB RAM, an XIO Ethernet card, and a
> Postscript Level 1 cartridge, but to get the Level 2, Printerworks wants
> to gouge you to the tune of about $147.  I narrowly missed a single
> auction for one for like $40... I haven't seen an auction for one since.
>
> Andrew
>
> The good cart is the C2089-AR Postscript Plus which does level 2.

i have all three cartridges that run in the LJ III.  various bugs in each.
i still keep the level 1 cart around when i want to print multiple copies.
if you set the number of copies more than one, with the level 2 cart it
returns to 1 copy after the first job.  (found that bug when the cart first
came out and HP just shrugged for a while but eventually let me keep the
older cart.  i did the trade-in upgrade where they send you the upgrade
cart and then you send them in the old one for a big credit)   had to
escalate the problem up thru several levels before i could get anyone to
actually listen that there was a bug.  the guy i talked to was bummed since
HP had hired Adobe to write that part of the code but the contract was that
HP could test it before release and he said they did thousands of tests
but after HP accepted the code and duplicated it then Adobe would
charge HP $200,000 minimum to fix even one bug.  so in the end they let
me keep the old cart which doesn't have that problem.  the level 2 cart
code was never fixed.

-ron