[rescue] Okay, I give up (RS/6000 console cable)

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Fri Apr 12 03:45:33 CDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > Sweet.  Will that work in here?  I thought it expected the framebuffer to
> > plug into that weird connector on the system board.
>
> yours is in fact an MCA based RS/6000, yes?  if so, it _should_ Just Work(TM).

Not necessarily.  That machine has a PowerPC 601 Local Bus slot for video.

> > That's what I -thought-, but it's IBM.  Sorta like SGI, you never know
> > what they might've done weird this time.
>
> just think about the name.  PS/2, PS/2, PS/2.  :)

Actually, PS/2 keyboards aren't supported in AIX < 4.0.  The RS/6000
keyboard isn't the same thing as the PS/2 keyboard.  The RS/6000 keyboard
has an embedded speaker.  But yes, IBM came up with the idea of the PS/2
keyboard for the IBM PS/2.

Peace...  Sridhar