[rescue] Okay, I give up (RS/6000 console cable)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 11 11:23:30 CDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> do you want Real Email(TM) who's bandwidth provider follows all the rules?
> you get your choice of IMAP or POP3.

I'm a stubborn ass about wanting run my own mail server.  It means I get
-nothing- that I don't want.  I'll put up with a tiny minority of my mail
bouncing due to a braindead upstream until my server gets moved (probably
next month).

> yours is in fact an MCA based RS/6000, yes?  if so, it _should_ Just Work(TM).

I'm sadly ignorant about what MCA looks like.  The connectors on this
system look, for all the world, like EISA, but I know that can't be right.

> > Now I just need a Unix-style monitor switchbox (or KVM).
>
> you've got an Octane, so you can at least come up with a monitor to steal for
> the install, right?

Yes, yes, but what if I want to play on the console later?  Then I have to
haul the monitor back over to the RS/6000.  Never mind that my don't-use-
it-for-anything-but-games PC also uses this monitor.

> > That's what I -thought-, but it's IBM.  Sorta like SGI, you never know
> > what they might've done weird this time.
>
> just think about the name.  PS/2, PS/2, PS/2.  :)

Yes, but my Model M has no speaker.  Will it (silently) complain?

--Jonathan