[rescue] GCC 3.0 Solaris 8

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Wed Apr 3 22:07:04 CST 2002

At 10:45 PM 4/3/2002 -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>  Gcc was (and still is!) wonderful on certain architectures...in
>particular, VAX and m68K.  I think it's mainly an issue of not having
>particularly good support for RISC and post-RISC features found in
>modern architectures, but I don't have a thorough understanding of the
>code generation issues involved.

There was a fairly long discussion on comp.arch.embedded about gcc for
68k--apparently (I've never cared enough to verify it myself--I use Diab
Data) gcc generates some pretty strange code involving volatile variables
with the optimizer turned on.  Some of the examples are corner cases in the
C standard, so not all of the issues aren't black and white.

You can read it on google; search usenet for the thread "Motorola 68360
(CPU32+) Development Tools"

newell