[rescue] GCC 3.0 Solaris 8

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 3 21:45:45 CST 2002

On April 3, dave at cca.org wrote:
> I recall seeing comparisons of gcc & various commercial compilers
> in some unix trade rag, that put gcc at about the head of the pack.
> It was a really long time ago. Maybe 1990 or so.

  Yup.

> Was that comparison bullshit? Or was gcc competitive back then,
> and has not kept up with the pace of compiler advances (which
> was obviously very high-paced throughout the 90s)?

  Gcc was (and still is!) wonderful on certain architectures...in
particular, VAX and m68K.  I think it's mainly an issue of not having
particularly good support for RISC and post-RISC features found in
modern architectures, but I don't have a thorough understanding of the
code generation issues involved.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar