[rescue] Looking for advice on HP V-class system

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Apr 2 12:23:15 CST 2002

On April 3, ghub005 at xtra.co.nz wrote:
> I've got an opportunity to acquire a complete HP 9000 V class server for my home network. It's a fully populated V2200 (16 * 200MHz, 8GB) with a 500+GB FC10 disk array (30 * 10k 18GB).
>
> Basically I've managed to find a buyer for the FC array which will allow me to get the V2200 for free (and make a small profit).
>
> So the question is what should I do with the V2200? I can't run it at home because of the 3 phase power supply and cooling requirements, but I don't want to part out or strip a complete working system. Also, is it true that these machines are almost impossible to sell these days because the HP support costs are prohibitive? Finally, the system is in Australia (Victoria) - has anyone in here been holding out for one of these systems?

  A *WHAT*?

  You do know that this is *WAY* into the realm of supercomputers,
right?  That thing outperforms even pretty much any Cray with the
exception of the T3E, SV1/2, T90, and C90.  Think 700 MFLOPS per
processor, with memory bandwidth to feed them.

  I would venture a guess that you've the only V-class machine in
private hands right now.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure of it.

  As for the "impossible to sell" thing...that depends on who's buying
it.  There are actually some people and companies left who have
technical employees, and as such are willing to buy something without
paying for constant hand-holding and ass-kissing that most support
contracts involve.  If you want to sell it, it won't be difficult, you
just have to watch who you try to sell it to.

  I will try to think of some possible applications for this box
should you decide to run it (highly recommended).

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "...it's leaving me this unpleasant,
St. Petersburg, FL                 damp feeling on my shorts..." -Sridhar