[rescue] Linux Luserisms (was: secondary market storage?)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Apr 1 22:06:26 CST 2002

> I have run more recent Linuxes, but I think that they still have that NQRFPT
> aspect to them.
> Sure, you can use the latest GeeFarce MCMLXVI ti-xyz on them the day after
> the card hits the shelves, but how about a Distro that's secure out of the
> box for a change, or better interoperability, or ... yadda, yadda, yadda...

Unix and secure out of the box are, for the most part,
mutually exclusive.  After you install you need to load
all the released patches, just like with most Linux
distributions.

> Linux certainly had it's place in the days of Commercial unices costing
> thousands of dollars...
> But now that we have real unixes available for free, isn't Linux redundant?

To turn your statement back around:

Now that Linux is so popular, are all the *BSDs redundant?

Also, for x86 systems, the field seems to be dropping.  The
most recent drop-out seems to be Solaris/x86.

> I mean, think where the *BSD's would be if thousands of coders weren't
> wasting their time writing software for Linux...

Probably about where they are now.  Speed of release doesn't
seem to be a priority with *BSD, and with even more coders
there's probably be another five or six *BSDs forked off
from people fighting.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net