[rescue] Re: RE: somewhat OT: secondary market storage?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Apr 1 18:26:16 CST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> But, it says "S U N" on the case!  It's got the Java buzz!  etc.

I had 4-6 Sun and VAR people in at my last job pitching the Sun duct-tape
NAS stuff (E220+A1000, E420+A1000, E4500+T3). I asked what the best reason
to choose them over Netapp (whose F740 we ended up getting), and they said
(I shit you not) "People like Sun." I was supposed to go with a Solaris
server and some superglue because it came from Sun.

> In talking to a guy that resells drive arrays, etc. he mentioned that
> Sun-badged stuff goes for more on the market, even if it is just JBOD
> disk shelves.

Yep. Look at SunPCI RAM for example. We were getting Sunblessed 64MB PC100
DIMMs for about $400 each when Crucial had them for $60. Yeah, it was a
while ago.

Rob