[rescue] RE: somewhat OT: secondary market storage?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Apr 1 16:42:59 CST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 03:14:56PM -0800, David Passmore wrote:

> Incidentally if you were an @Home customer, your e-mail was not hosted on
> EMC, but on Sun A3500FC, which failed almost daily under load. Any
> improvement you saw towards the end was due to a migration to EMC equipment.
>
> If anyone is interested in profiling data I have of various storage vendors,
> I will be glad to help. Don't buy the T3. Sun had to pull it out of an
> evaluation because they had TWO WEEKS to get it up to advertised performance
> and couldn't do it. You have to buy it in pairs, it has a serious LUN
> limitation, it has a single controller...

But, it says "S U N" on the case!  It's got the Java buzz!  etc.

In talking to a guy that resells drive arrays, etc. he mentioned that
Sun-badged stuff goes for more on the market, even if it is just JBOD
disk shelves.

Do you have an opinion on the Auspex NS7000 ? I picked one up cheap on
eBay but have not yet turned it on, am waiting for the right power
plug to be installed.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net