[rescue] FDDI <-> ethernet

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 27 13:56:33 CDT 2001

> I have a quick question. Is it possible to have 2 interfaces in a
> machine both on the same subnet? I have an FDDI card in my U5, and it
> works fine as long as the 2 interfaces are on different nets.  I've
> already set the PROM to use local mac id's, what else do I need to do to
> get it to work on one net? Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm
> getting 8 IPs from my ISP, and want to use them primarily on the fibre,
> but my ISDN router is ethernet, so one machine is going to have to have
> 2 IPs and act as a router. Is this even possible?

this is more the realm of James Fogg and the networking weenies, but i'll try
since i do know a bit about networking.

what you want to do should work, but you are going to have to use special
netmasks on the U5 to make it work.

uhm, oh my.  this is going to take some thinking, i'll let the network weenies
step in unless i manage to come up with the solution.

-brian (netmask math is not my strong point)