[rescue] alpha server 1000 4/266 info needed

Michael A. Turner rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 24 13:27:42 CDT 2001

	The digital unix seems only to exist far enough to get NT to boot.
which is not suprising becuase this is the way that other alpha's of the
same type of model are in getting linux to boot. I actually have a version
of digital unix in the box that I may install. I think she thought it was a
unix box as the scsi terminator on the back was loose so the chain was not
terminated. This caused the box to hang at a DU screen as it scanned the
scsi bus over and over. Reseating the terminator fixed this problem. I just
mentoined linux becauseI know I can re-install with that as I have done it
on other alpha's, just not using the ARC bios but the other one whose name
escapes me right now.

	Good point on max size and the hot swapping, I may have assumed to
much. The drives look like every other digital sled I have ever seen with
the big wide connector on the back so I suspect that they are close to
universal. If nothing else I would love to get my hands on the blanks that
go in these slots for when their is no drive as the bays are exsposed right
now. My expereince is that trying to track down hard drive sleds can be a
REAL pain in the ass. I spent over a year looking for sleds for an axil raid
enclosure and finally found exactly three. Even then to get them I had to
buy another raid enclosure, luckly it came with the raid card cage and one
raid enclosure. Now I just have to figure out how to make it work. Ideally I
would love to hook it to this Alpa, anyone got a manual they can scan and
send my way?

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO