Why IRIX sucks (was Re: [rescue] Sparcstation 2 help! Please)

Alistair MacDonald rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 24 04:20:03 CDT 2001

=3D=3D=3D patrick at zill.net 23/09/2001 09:50:45 =3D=3D=3D
>Can I ask what it is about IRIX that sucks so bad?  I mean, myself
>personally, I would just run IRIX on those systems.  Maybe 6.5 isn't so
>zippy on the older stuff, I dunno, that's why I am asking...

Simple. IRIX sucks because it costs $300 for media and you still don't =
have a licence.

I have 3 SGI machines - 2 Indys and an Indigo2. I only have an installed =
copy of IRIX for the I2 and that is 6.2 which means I can't do most of the =
graphics stuff I want to do (The things I want to do need OpenGL 1.2 and =
6.2 came with OpenGL 1.1 - compatability layer anyone?) SGI machines are =
very cheap, but try getting one with IRIX installed. Now try getting one =
with original CDs. It is possible, but you end up paying 2 or 3 times the =
price.

Alistair