[rescue] How the fsck do I install gzip from a "depot" file on an HP-UX 10.20 box?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 23 21:41:15 CDT 2001

See below...

--- Mike Nicewonger <twmaster at twmaster.com> wrote:
> OK several questions.
>
> Where did you get the file you are trying to
> install? If it came from the
> "porting centre" you will need to ungzip it. If it
> came from eleswhere chances
> are you do not need to unzip it unless of course
> specifically told to do so. the
> unzip process should leave you with a single file.

I don't remember the source, but it uncompressed to a
*.depot file (was *.depot.Z)

> then you would run swinstall with the -s switch you
> must provide the full path
> to the .depot file.

I have the file *.depot in /var/spool/sw - I run the
following command:

    swinstall -s /var/opt/sw

And I get the start-up screen (press enter to
continue), then I get a message about an inability to
create a lock file.

What is the lock file? I have wide-open permission on
/var/spool and /var/spool/sw directories...

This is starting to piss me off... ALl I am hoping to
do is get gzip on th ebox, so I can install an apache
http server...

Argh!

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

Ken